What is “SWITCHED ON”?
Research has shown that multiple levels of deprivation are more likely to exist amongst ethnic minorities such as high unemployment and poorest housing. These two factors alone can result in a high incidence of fuel poverty amongst these communities. Switched On is a CEMVO programme funded by the Scottish Power Energy People Trust to raise awareness on energy efficiency and inform households what measures can be taken on board to minimise the effects of fuel poverty.
What is the aim of “SWITCHED ON”?
Switched On is aimed at raising energy efficiency awareness amongst ethnic minority communities especially targeting those people in fuel poverty, who spend 10% or more of their net income on fuel . The programme also provides information and advice on energy efficiency, cost of fuel and appropriate measures in the home that can help lift communities out of fuel poverty.
Who is it for?
Switched on is aimed at ethnic minority communities in Scotland, specifically, those from households with low incomes, young families, vulnerable adults and those with disabilities.
How is it delivered?
These events will be carried out across Scotland to raise awareness of fuel poverty, who it can affect and how. These events will also provide general advice on energy efficiency measures that can be taken by households for example changing behaviour and habits.
Our outreach events are run like workshops, so are very interactive, you will learn more about:
- Fuel Poverty and what it means in real terms
- Efficient and safe use of heating and hot water systems and appliances
- Paying for gas and electricity, and obtaining the best tariff
- How to improve the energy efficiency in your household
- Grant aid available for energy efficiency measures
- Easy tips to save energy
One to One Surgeries
If you come along to an outreach event you can meet face to face with the adviser and receive tailored energy efficiency advice and information on energy consumption, energy suppliers, tariffs, bill payment methods, draught proofing and insulation measures in your home.
One to One Consultation Sessions
The one to one sessions will allow the adviser to specifically focus on you and your household’s energy efficiency. The consultation sessions will help you to:
- Recognise the effects of fuel poverty on your health and well being
- Understand your household income v the cost of fuel
- Understand what grants maybe available based on your individual circumstances
- Signpost you to relevant agencies
- Understand energy efficiency measures such as loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, draught proofing, hot water tank insulation and low energy bulbs
- Record your gas and electricity consumption and work out the costs
- Interpret your fuel cost data using reference materials
Outreach events, one to one surgeries and one to one consultations are all free of charge to those from ethnic minority communities.
Please see our Events page for all current events and booking information.